Jess Mara – Observational Drawing in Colour (Pastel): M4 with Jess Mara
This is a 6 week course.
This course Is suitable for those with some drawing experience.
In this course, participants will create observational drawings using a limited pallet of soft pastels. We will explore the use of tone, colour relationships and composition. Participants will draw from a variety of original still life images that will gradually increase in focus and complexity. These exercises will challenge in a relaxed and informative environment.
– 1 sheet Cartridge Paper approx A3 size (if purchasing, you could cut down a large sheet of cartridge paper into A3 pieces.)
– 2 sticks thin willow charcoal
– Baby wipes (optional for cleaning hands)
– Light dust mask (optional)
– pair of bulldog clips or tape
– A limited selection of soft pastels will be required for this course. This will be discussed in the first class. There will be three package options available, sourced by Jess. If participants already have soft pastels, please bring them to the first class to discuss colour selection. The colours for this course are the same as those used in previous pastel drawing class with Jess.
Package 1- $5 ( includes two pieces of coloured Canson Mi-Teintes paper only) This option is for participants who have pastels already.
Package 2- $29 ( inc- small set of pastels and two pieces of coloured Canson Mi-Teintes paper)
Package 3- $53 ( inc- large set of pastels and two pieces of coloured Canson Mi-Teintes paper)
Note- Materials needed for the first class are: 2 sticks of thin willow charcoal, eraser, 1 sheet of Cartridge Paper approx. A3 size, masking tape or pair of Bulldog clips.
To enrol in Jess Mara – Observational Drawing in Colour (Pastel): M4, please contact the tutor liaison.
19 Jun 2023
10am - 12.30pm
$135 Member; $180 Non-Member
Jess is an Adelaide based realist painter exploring ideas of Identity, place. She draws inspiration from her everyday surroundings. She is a lecturer at Adelaide Central School of Art and teaches in both the drawing and painting departments.
Jess completed her Bachelor of Visual Arts (honours) at Adelaide Central School of Art in 2006 and has been actively exhibition since. Her solo exhibitions include Bundle at Praxis Art Space, These Four Walls at Floating Goose Studios Inc, and Some Place Near at Hill Smith Gallery. She has been curated into numerous group exhibitions. She has been a finalist in the Royal South Australian Society of Arts- Portrait Prize, The Prospect Portrait Prize and the Shirley Hannan National Portrait Prize, The Advertiser Contemporary Art Prize and The Center for Creative Health Art Prize. In 2019 she was awarded the People’s Choice Award at the Kennedy Art Prize for her painting Embrace (Self Portrait with Son).